RASM UPDATES CONCERNING COVID-19
As the COVID-19 continues to be a growing public health concern across the country, RASM leadership would like to assure our members that we are monitoring the situation and implementing a continuity plan to ensure the needs of our members can be met. The health and safety of our REALTOR® family is one of our top concerns.
The situation is rapidly changing and evolving. The following resources and information are provided to keep our members up to date on RASM’s latest impacts from the coronavirus.
Starting Monday, April 6, RASM North and South will be open for business BY APPOINTMENT ONLY Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m. – noon. RASM Staff will still be available to serve you remotely from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. For a full list of our staff contacts, click here.
NAR’s Coronavirus: A Guide for REALTORS®
Visit NAR’s coronavirus page for these guides to support you at this time:
- General Guidance During COVID-19
- Open House Guidance During COVID-19
- Transaction Guidance During COVID-19
- Shelter-in-Place Guidance During COVID-19
Florida Stay-At-Home Order: Real Estate Deemed Essential
Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order calling for all Floridians to stay home except to obtain essential services. This order is effective at midnight April 2 and lasts 30 days. Per the order, residential and commercial real estate, including settlement services, are considered essential. A second executive order clarified that the stay-at-home order “shall supersede any conflicting official action or order issued by local officials in response to COVID-19,” solidifying real estate as an essential service in Florida during this pandemic. Learn more here.
REALTORS® have a special responsibility to take all necessary health and safety precautions, including those ordered by your state or locality, whichever are stricter. Even if Real Estate is deemed essential, we strongly encourage you to use virtual showings and limit in-person activity in all other aspects of the real estate transaction to get us through this crisis.
Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act
Many REALTORS® are small businesses or work with small businesses as clients. The recently passed economic relief package (the CARES Act) includes significant provisions to assist small businesses during this difficult time. NAR has compiled a Frequently Asked Questions page to address who is eligible for loans and other SBA programs and how to apply. This page will be regularly updated. Click here to see how the stimulus package can help real estate businesses and REALTORS® themselves.
“Don’t File for Unemployment Yet” – Florida REALTORS®
Florida will administer the program but has not yet created the “Pandemic Unemployment Assistance” process and current online applications don’t work for this unique program. Follow Florida Realtors News for updates.
Payroll Protection Plan Accepting Applications
Small businesses and sole proprietors can submit applications starting April 3 and independent contractors can apply starting on April 10. Employers who maintain minimum payroll levels and employees (at least 75% of their average) are eligible for loan forgiveness. Learn more here.
Gov. Ron DeSantis Suspends Vacation Rentals
In an effort to discourage visitors to the state who may be carrying the coronavirus, Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Friday a two-week suspension of new vacation rentals (30 days or 1 calendar month, whichever is less). The order does not apply to current occupants of vacation rentals. Via Florida REALTORS®
On March 16, 2020, Halsey Beshears, director of Department of Business and Professional Regulation, signed an order extending the March 31, 2020 license renewal deadline for real estate practitioners to April 30, 2020. No late fee will be assessed on an eligible license renewal during this period. The CE Shop provides online solutions to get all your CE credits needed for license renewal.
Suspension of Foreclosures and Evictions
On March 1, 2020, the Governor announced suspension of all evictions and foreclosures in Florida for the next 45 days in an effort to keep people in their homes. Review the order here.
Property Tax Deadline Extended
The Florida Department of Revenue (DOR) issued an emergency order to extend the final due date for property tax payments for the 2019 tax year. DOR has extended the due date from March 31, 2020, to April 15, 2020. More information can be found here.
FEMA Extends Flood Insurance Grace Period
The agency has extended the grace period to renew flood insurance policies from 30 to 120 days. Learn more here.
COVID-19 Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources
The passage of the $2 trillion COVID-19 relief package provides significant resources in the form of unemployment compensation and emergency loans for small businesses. The SBA understands that all real estate businesses are unique and have different needs. Click here to see their guidance & loan resources page.
Market Pulse Survey: Coronavirus vs. Real Estate
How are your buyers or sellers reacting to the coronavirus? RASM is looking for responses and updates from REALTORS® in our local market during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please complete this brief, anonymous 12-question survey to let us know how your buyers or sellers have responded to the situation or if it’s made an impact on your business.
Effective immediately, meetings, classes, and events through May 2nd shall be postponed, canceled or offered virtually. Refunds for members and customers for meeting, class, or event postponements or cancellations shall be given.
The RASM Classes below are postponed and will be moved to a later date. For a full list of classes visit our calendar.
- POSTPONED – RAJC Permits on March 18 (new date will be announced when available).
- POSTPONED – Taxes & Immigration on March 18 (Rescheduled for July 16)
- POSTPONED – PMC Lunch & Learn on March 19 (new date will be announced when available)
- POSTPONED – Food for Thought: A Day in the Life of a Top Producer on March 24 (Rescheduled for May 28)
- POSTPONED – FDOT Public Kickoff Meeting (new date will be announced when available)
- POSTPONED – 2020 CIPS Institute on April 20 – 29 (new date will be announced when available)
- POSTPONED – How To Make The Most Of Your Property Management Business on April 23 (new date will be announced when available)
- POSTPONED – A Guide To Managing Short Term Rentals on April 23 (new date will be announced when available)
- POSTPONED – YPN Lip Sync Battle on April 28 (Exploring dates in June)
- POSTPONED – 14th Annual Global Conference on May 5 (new date will be announced when available)
NEW MEMBER ORIENTATION
Effective immediately new member orientation classes shall be canceled through April. The 90-day completion requirement shall be temporarily waived, until further notice. New members shall be advised to complete the Code of Ethics class on-line through NAR.
Effective immediately, the Association shall endeavor to conduct committee meetings electronically through April 17th. If you are a member of a RASM committee, please note that Committee Chairs and Staff Liaisons are working to make accommodations for your upcoming committee meetings.
Individuals and communities should familiarize themselves with recommendations to protect themselves and their communities from getting and spreading respiratory illnesses like COVID-19. As this information is ever-changing, we recommend that you stay up to date by visiting the CDC or WHO websites.
All members and staff should take proactive actions to help prevent the spread of illnesses, including coronavirus and the seasonal flu:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water aren’t available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or cough or sneeze into your sleeve.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
RASM is currently exploring the possibility of offering online webinars to our members. In the meantime, here are some online education resources you can take advantage of.
- The CE Shop – The CE Shop provides online solutions for all your real estate educational needs, including Pre-Licensing, Post-Licensing and Continuing Education. Courses are offered on an innovative learning platform designed for the adult learner.
- NAR’s Right Tools, Right Now – The Right Tools, Right Now initiative, which was activated once before in 2009, makes new and existing NAR products and services available for FREE or at significant discounts. Right now, all online courses are at least 30% off through the Center of REALTOR® Development!
- Interact CE – Interact CE is the #1 recommended license renewal product that’s both fun and proven superior learning. Refine your skills and earn CE credit while playing the part of a real-estate professional put in real life situations. Interact CE uses games to engage and educate students in an experiential learning situation.
- C2EX – Launched in November 2018, the Commitment to Excellence program sets the standard for what it means to be a professional in the real estate brokerage business. It is earned through a self-directed program that enables real estate professionals to assess and build on their competency in each of the core areas. Add yourself to the list of RASM Members who have completed their C2EX Endorsement